Over the past couple of days, I’ve had some pretty encouraging news. As a result of my flash fiction piece getting published over at Theme of Absence, i was approached by a company looking to help me publish my first book. I am really exciting about this, and also very nervous. While it was still a hobby, I could futz around with it, but now that there are deals happening and people interested in reading it – I’m putting a lot of pressure to get it done and get it done right.
Oh – and the book itself underwent some major revisions. I kept finding my self writing about the characters that were there to just walk people through the events around the times of the fires, but I spent way too much time with them as characters and not enough with the actual history. I decided to split the project because of this – the first part is a completely non-fictional telling of the events of the fires of 1914. This is what I’ll publish this year. Getting this history out there for the 100 year anniversary is a bit arbitrary, but it would mean a lot to me to accomplish this.
Next I will take what were supposed to be POV characters for the tale and write a more fictional account, fleshing out the characters and adjusting a few details to make it a better story. That should be my main project for 2015. I also have a flash fiction project that I’m hoping to start in 2015, but I need to see if some other things fall into place first.